The first job that I have chosen to analyse my own abilities and development against is a Character Animator job at Rockstar Games. I came across this job on GamesIndustry.biz . I will start by analysing the job itself and I will then contrast it with my own ability.
We would like to hear from talented animators with a range of experience & backgrounds to produce in-game animations for future projects at Rockstar North, Edinburgh.
• Minimum of 3-year degree with an emphasis in character animation or equivalent work experience.
• Outstanding demo reel demonstrating strong animation ability and good aesthetic eye.
• Exceptional skill in animating realistic human characters.
• Thorough understanding and application of classic animation principles (staging, timing, anticipation, follow through, etc.)
• The ability to collaborate and communicate effectively with a wide variety of project staff.
• Consistently meet project deadlines in a timely manner without compromising artistic integrity.
• Assist in the integration of animation with designers and engineers to create compelling in-game animation.
• Strong interest in video games.
• Experience with motion capture and MotionBuilder
• Professional experience developing a third person action game.
• Strong traditional animation/art background.
All applicants should be fluent in one or more of the major packages with MotionBuilder experience an advantage.
Please note: ALL applications should be accompanied by a demo reel, either on DVD or a web link.
• Demo reels should be no longer than 3 minutes.
• Sound is not important.
First of all, I am working my way to have a 3-year degree. However, I will need to put more of an emphasis on character animation. I feel as though my character animating skills thrived during the first year; but since I have been on the second year, I have focused less on character animation and more on other areas. In the next projects, I will need to put myself forward for animating duties as well as the texturing and rigging that I have been heavily involved in in the past few projects.
I have some ability to work with a variety of project staff; in other words, people who have different jobs on the same project as me. I am currently working on this skill in Post Production project, as part of a team; but it would be good to get more experience working with people from other departments as I still feel I could improve my team working skills.
As for time management skills and consistently meeting deadlines; I find that I have always been good at handing work in on time. However, I have recently started to learn that I have poor time management skills and I find that I easily use up time designated to certain projects, because I invest too much time in other projects. As for working to tight deadlines, without compromising the artistic integrity in a piece, this has varied; and has depended on the varying technical ability of people who I have worked with in the past.
The desirable qualities for this job involve experience in MotionBuilder; along with experience working in a third person action game and an animation/art background. I would say that I do come from an art background as I did several art courses before I got onto this degree and I always finished them with high grades. As for the desirable experience, I have no experience in MotionBuilder, so I may consider teaching myself another 3D software package. I also have no professional experience in the Games or Animation industries, but then again, I am working my way towards getting experience.
From this, I have found that I would benefit from learning other 3D software, particularly MotionBuilder. I will also need to brush up on my character animation soon to check that my skills are still up to speed. As for my ability to work within a team and my time management skills; I am at an advantage as the two units I am doing require me to work on these.